On 13 Feb 2012, in shared space Exhibition Rd, a man on foot was hit by a lorry (here). Thankfully he was not badly hurt. It is no reason to ditch shared space, but it backs my view that streetscape redesign is not enough on its own. The call for 5mph limits is right and wrong. Motorists should drive at walking pace when pedestrians, especially children are around, but learn to drive according to context, not forced to drive by numbers or 24-hour limits and lights. Roads will be fit for all road-users only when the shift from priority to equality has taken place. This will only be achieved through change in the rules of the road, the law and the driving test combined with streetscape redesign.
- Manslaughter charges at last? - Equality StreetsEquality Streets on Admission
- OK, Really, What About The Roads? on Priority
- The unbearable crassness of agreeing - Equality StreetsEquality Streets on War on Britain’s Roads
- Accidents at Traffic Lights – Lets End The Madness | StrikeEngine – Car Tuning on Four Thought – correction
- Albert Slawson on Contact and links